International Organization for Numerical Musical Tuning
International Organization for
Numerical Musical Tuning
Mediating informed choice:
Listeners have the right to know.
Just as there are:
- list of ingredients and nutritional information tables on food and drink packaging
- chemical components breakdown on water bottles
- the type of fabric and materials used for making clothing and shoes on inner labels
- list of ingredients in cosmetic products on recipients
- technical details and product specifications of various hardware inside user manuals
so with music, there should be
- tuning (both scale and reference frequency) and processing (compression levels) information
specified explicitly (in relevant numerical form) on the medium (CD, DVD, BD, vinyl, digital file tag).
The International Organization for Numerical Musical Tuning is an independent international nongovernmental organization (iINGO) concerned with:
- the specifications and guidelines for a standardized, worldwide universal format of defining musical tuning and signal processing through the language of numbers alone, and
- creating awareness about musical diversity and advancing the coexistence of differing musical philosophies (choice of tuning) through promoting the active use of tuning specifications on music media (scores and recordings, physical and digital).